Saturday, January 9, 2010

Kandahar Ski Area

One down, many more to go!

Kandahar ski area from the west looking east in Google Earth
(elevation exaggerated x2.5)

Lattitude: 42°44'55.90"N
Longitude: 83°43'41.79"W

I couldn’t think of a better day to explore an old ski hill. Temperature was in the upper 20s with barely a cloud in the sky and a fresh blanket of snow on the ground from a storm earlier in the week. I loaded up the wife and daughter into Rex and went exploring!

The old ski area was very easy to find. The fresh fallen snow made it feel like we were much further away from Metro Detroit than we actually were. The new “Foley Ridge” subdivision in place of what was once Kanahar ski area was actually a blessing in disguise. The new development allowed us to drive right up to the ski hill and walk through all of the old trails. If anyone stopped to questioned us, I was simply going to respond that I was a prospective land buyer since there are many vacant lots still available. Despite seeing another family out walking about, we were left alone.

Once inside the subdivision, we were able to drive right up to the old ski runs. I was actually able to walk up to the summit of the hill and take a few pictures. I recognize this as a rare occurrence and something I shouldn't expect at all of these old hills, especially the ones so close to home.



This photo is looking up at what would likely be called some sort of "bowl" run. I mean, if it was MY ski area, I would have named it 'something' bowl. On the left of the bowl, it looked like the narrow and less steep pitch was used for either a T-bar or rope tow.



A view from the top of "Bayley's Bowl" looking down at where the previous picture was taken from.

There was a long gentle ridge along the top of the hill the appeared to allow skiers access to the three main west facing faces. I couldn't imagine the ridge being much fun on a snowboard. Hopefully the hill closed before boarding ever became popular.




This view shows what looks like an easier alternative to "Bayley's Bowl". It seems that many of the local residents still use the open slopes for sledding runs.


After exploring, I found my way back down to the wife and (sleeping) daughter sitting comfortably inside Rex.




Another lost ski hill frozen in time...

-A

6 comments:

  1. I loved Kandahar. I've often wondered what happened to the great snow machines that were used there ... besides the snow cats, also a couple military half-tracks and at least one "tank" style snow cat, (possibly a Thiokol?) that had the track going around its entire profile (one had to have seen it).
    Work days were as much fun as leisure time there ... and time spent there putting in the required work hours in the summer was equally as awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glory Daze. In the 70's I was the club racing and jumping champ multiple times. There was no place like Kandahar.
    We used to steal beer from the snowbanks by the front doors (adults kept it cold out there) and head to the jumps. No parents around, the oldest person there was maybe 13. And that jump was a death trap but so much fun. We'd be jumping 80+ feet with no adults anywhere... Mom and Dad just said be careful. HA!
    I live in Colorado now but I'll always love Kandahar the most.

    Pat P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis Carnes, loved skiing at Kandahar, i skied the old Kandahar in Pontiac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned how to ski there. My family had been a member since before I was born. The bowl area was called North Face/Ridge. It had a 2 section tow rope, and later a Poma lift. It was a nice ski club for families, but people eventually left for bigger hills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned how to ski there. My family had been a member since before I was born. The bowl was called North Face/Ridge and did have a 2 section tow rope and later a poma lift. It was a nice long run on the property. It was sad to see close, but many people stopped being members when in the 1980's there were a couple years with no snow fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up skiing "Old" Kandahar at Pontiac Lake Rec Area and Summit Kandahar in Fenton and I surely miss the days of tow ropes run by old GM TRUCK RIMS! then LATER the POMPOMS. Just the wholesome family times with the other families drinking HOT CHOCOLATE with MARSHMELLOWS are times never to be experienced again, nowadays...almost tear up at the loss of innocence and comradery that existed then...

    ReplyDelete